Monday, August 5, 2013

Peeling badly, signs of third outbreak

August 3, 2013

August 5, 2013

August 5, 2013

If my skin weren't constantly peeling off as it has been lately, I would have a new crop of water-filled vesicles. As you can see in this photo, there are those little dots on the raw skin beneath that piece that fell off. My socks often exhibit wet spots from the serum that is pouring out of the little holes. You would think the trick to this would be to air them out-- to just like there without socks. Tried that, bad idea-- when I air out my feet, they get so dry they crack and bleed. So I continue to wash them at least twice a day, apply the Target brand of Neosporin on the cuts, and Eucerin cream on the whole foot right before putting on socks.

I am so tired of this, I don't know what to do. Online research seems pretty useless sometimes because everyone experiences this differently, and everyone has different relief methods. No cures, mind you, just methods that they think work. I have tried apple cider vinegar, and it doesn't work. I have heard hydrogen peroxide works wonders, but others say it's bad because it kills the good cells. Tried it anyway, didn't work. I've tried leaving them unpopped, doesn't work, they only spread. I have tried popping them, it gets rid of them, but they always come back. I tried bed rest, and that didn't work so I continued my exercise routine as normal. It doesn't bother me that much when I exercise, ironically. I figured it's the softness of the running shoes, so I got myself comfortable walking shoes as well. It helps, but when I come home and take off my shoes, I face the reality of my crumbling, peeling, rotting skin. On some days I have to use a gauze.

I got tired of waiting for the county dermatologist to get back to me. I went out doctor-shopping today-- first to the allergist, then to the dermatologist, before choosing one and making an appointment. The allergist would be great because I can take an allergy test, but oh, it is so expensive! It's $250 for the test, plus the $75 visit, plus any other medication I might need. That's my whole unemployment check for two weeks! Then I went to the dermatologist, who charges $100 per visit, plus $20 for a steroid injection, plus whatever medication I might need. Well! That's much closer to my budget, at least. My mom was kind enough to offer to help me with $200, which should cover this.

In the future when I can afford it I'd like to go to the allergist and take the allergy test, which I hope will help me figure out what is my trigger. For now, blindly treating this with a steroid injection without knowing the cause is just going to have to do.

Right foot. August 5, 2013

14 comments:

  1. Your hands and feet look exactly like mine. I've been suffering with this condition for years and the last time I went to the dermatologist he said "there's nothing I can do but write you an unlimited prescription to clobetesol. Good luck" have you made any headway since you posted this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pop the bumps the apply alcohol to dry it out then apply coconut oil.....
    Too much moisture makes them too itchy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have suffered with this since 2008. I has no symptoms until I was pregnant with my daughter. They popped up one day and have been around with a vengeance ever since. I can't handle the constant itching so that's why I pop them. It at least takes the itching down a couple of notches. But I have found that when I do pop them a lot more pops up overnight. I have tried EVERY homeopathic remedy to no avail. Nothing works. My doctor prescribed some cream to apply and that did nothing as well. I am going to make a dermatologist appointment because I feel like over the past year it's gotten way worse. I think stress plays a huge factor. I worked a side job at a concert selling beer recently that kept me moving and on my feet for 13 hours. I wore memory foam shoes which were very comfortable for the first 8 hours but later in the day I noticed my feet with itching extremely bad through my shoes. I couldn't check my feet until I got home late that night and when I took my socks off I was in for a huge surprise! I had never seen my feet so bad...ever! There was not one place on my entire foot including heels and toes(in between toes too) that wasn't covered in those horrible itching blisters. I was miserable for a week...non stop scratching and popping...only to have more appear the next day. I then got an infection from all the sores. I feel your pain! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might try to get the GP to write an RX for clobetasol, and then do what my dermatologist has had me do: apply it twice a day, use socks to cover your feet and white cotton gloves for your hands, no longer than 2 weeks at a time for the blisters. For the dry skin, CeraVe healing ointment on hands and feet at night, then CeraVe on hands during day and Amlactin lotion on feet in morning, with zeasorb powder inside shoes. Also keep it all covered, and do not get them wet. Avoiding water helps me so much, even though it's highly inconvenient. All these products are over the counter except for clobetasol and your pharmacy can order them if they're not on the shelf (well Walmart can, I know). It's been about 1.5 mos and while it hasn't completely cured it, it is so much better and life seems worth it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been suffering for over 2 1/2 years. There are times I can hardly walk. I couldn't hold a fork or cut up my food. The pain is unbearable at times. My dermatologist told me I was a difficult case but he wasnt going to give up. I have tried all kinds of lotions, aloes, oils, moisture wraps etc... I now wear white cotton gloves (cut the fingers off of the gloves if my fingers are not affected). I started getting injections of Methatrixate 25mg a week to get it under control and then every 2 weeks. This has helped so much. I went almost 6 months without the shot and then it all came back.. My feet feel like i am walking on glass. I have restarted the injection and my hands are showing good signs of improving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been suffering for at least 4 years. It is only on my right foot but some days I can hardly walk without crying from the pain. I've tried just about everything. Steroid creams do pretty much nothing, ACV, salt scrub, you name it. Popping them is the best but they still return. I found that tomato is a big trigger which really helped to cut out of my diet but it didn't go away, it just happens more slowly. I recently figured that it could be a nickel allergy but most of my diet contains nickel... I do however stay away from canned food which has also helped. I thought I was out of luck until I used my own essential oil mix for a few days that made an incredible impact. I pretty much lather it all over my foot and sometimes in a bandage. The combo is a strong antiseptic and antifungal. Here is what I use. 5 tablespoons of coconut oil, 15 drops of tea tree oil, 15 drops lavender oil, 10 drops cedar tree oil, 5-10 drops peppermint oil. Mix it really well and use it 2-3 times a day, rubbing in as much as possible. I've recently read about the benefits of peppermint oil and am considering adding 15 drops next time. The oil mix never made a huge impact like I've seen recently until I added the peppermint. I hope this helps someone. I'll update in a few weeks or so and let you all know if what I see in progress is really working. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor said I must use cream. So I got used to put cream each time I feel skin getting dry...
      My after shower routine include using cream right after I dry the skin with towel. Ankle is a little dry right now... You could try it :)

      Delete
  7. Someday, I read an Indonesian woman post, she is suffering too because of this ill, then she tried to eat garlic after she eats food then she tried to let her toes walk in a hot way for 10 minutes maybe and the toes getting dry and she told us that it is not come back anymore, she do that for about 1 month

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use cream on the affected skin. Must put some cream on everyday to avoid skin to get dry. As prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same thing. I got it when I was 19. Drs kept telling me it was athlete's foot until I got into a dermatologist 2 years later. The only things that help mine are reducing stress and cutting sugar and grains completely out of my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven’t tried this yet but I talked to my doctor and he was suggesting cold laser therapy u might want to ask ur doctor about trying that

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suffered for 3 years with the itchy tiny bubbles on my hands and feet. When the bubbles would dried up, they would crack and bleed. Then I had thick layers of dead skin that would peal off. Nothing would help.
    I finally changed the brand of socks I was using.
    I believe I am allergic to the elastic that is in certain socks and underwear bands.
    When I changed to 100% cotton socks, my feet and hands cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've suffered for years not knowing what was wrong. I've tried all types of cream to no avail. I did cure it recently however. I'd like to share it for all those who suffer. First, I had to figure out what I was allergic to. It turned out I was allergic to eggs and the whole nightshade family. Once I eliminated them from my diet for 6 months, I began taking D3 vitamins which a deficiency has been known to cause weird food allergies. After a month, I tested my allergies and they were gone! If I miss a day or two of vitamins, I get a small reaction, so I just make sure to take at least 30mg each day or more if needed. Then, to get rid of the eczema patchy skin, I exfoliate once a week and use a combo of oils, mostly witch hazel and coconut oil. It seems to be clearing up nicely. Best of luck out there and maybe D3 can work for someone else. It was a life changer for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am 66. I had this condition as a teenager.. I went to dermatologists in California, Mexico and Canada, wirhout getting any help. Eventually, I went to a naturopath in Canada.. he prescribed me to take brewers yeast tablets, to increase my multi vitamin B content. It did work, and every time I get a flare up, I have increased the Vit B’s to clear it up. I have also recommended this to 2 other persons, and it works for them. In my case, I find it relates to stress. I seem to require more B’s during hard times. I would not rule out the allergy connection however. In my experience, allergies flare up during times of stress also, so this could be an explanation.

    ReplyDelete