Monday, August 5, 2013

How my dyshidrosis began

Where do I begin? Well, it all started with dryness on my left big toe summer 2012. I thought it was just that-- dryness. I am a runner, so I thought it was just one of the effects of this hobby that I'll just have to live with. I didn't think much of it. I chuckled when my stepdad said last summer, "That looks like fungus. I have some medication if you'd like." I had NO clue was he was talking about, and laughed it off, subtly changing the subject because I was a bit embarrassed to have him look at my feet. Over time, I noticed the dryness wouldn't go away, and I started blistering there, with little clear dots. Remembering my stepfather's diagnosis, I was certain those dots were fungus, so I treated it with over-the-counter antifungals from Target; it didn't show much progress. Around January 2013 I told my mother about my condition, and she gave me an antifungal medication she purchased while vacationing in Peru. It's called Iconyl(r), and it is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal. It contains betamethasone, gentamicin, and clotrimazole. WHOA! That thing worked like a charm. I was amazed by how quickly it showed results, compared to the stuff I had been trying.

A few months later I started developing the same little dots, but now on the bottom of my foot as well as on the same left big toe. I was certain they were fungus, so I bought Tinactin spray-- yet, the unsightly thing continued to spread despite my efforts! By May 1st, 2013 had a circle about 4 inches long and an inch and a half wide on the bottom of my right foot, and a growing cluster about half an inch wide and long on my left foot. I did apple cider vinegar foot dips, but that didn't work. It seemed to get worse despite my efforts, and now even my hands were showing those little clear dots that I thought were the fungal bodies. I was so disgusted and desperate!

It was frustrating. It was difficult to walk. I didn't want to walk barefoot either, lest I get a secondary bacterial infection. I didn't want to cover it in socks and shoes either because I heard that gives fungus the warmth, moisture and darkness they need to thrive. I was damned either way. I got two pairs oversized men's sandals. NOT pretty or flattering, but they gave my feet the comfort, air and protection they needed.

I finally went to the doctor on May 3rd. I'm unemployed and have no insurance, so I went to a random county doctor for this because I qualify for free service. The doctor looked at it and said it didn't look like fungus;  I was almost certain it was, considering the white clear dots.  He observed that it MIGHT be fungus in combination with some sort of rash or irritation, so he prescribed a clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream. That cream actually worked-- it dried up the vesicles and dried up my entire foot so bad it started to crack. I did my research, posted on forums, shared photos, and found it was DYSHIDROSIS. I wasn't diagnosed by a doctor because the free county doctors almost never conduct tests unless one is DYING, and the regular doctor is TOO expensive. However, after months of online research, this is dyshidrosis.

Right foot. May 3rd, 2013

Left big toe, May 3rd, 2013


9 comments:

  1. I believe I also have dyshidrosis. I do not have insurance, so I cant really afford to see a dermatologist. Do you mind if I email a few photos, and see if it similar to what you have? The photos are public on my facebook page....https://www.facebook.com/caseyknoxville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wonder if any of you suffers from this annoying condition know if it can present itself on other parts of the body besides the hands and feet? Any feedback would be welcome! Hopsalong

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've had disyhdrosis for about two hellish years. nothing has helped besides the home remedies. i have had reactions to all of the creams and ointments. turns out i've got contact dermatitis as well. i'm now on an an immunosupressant, cellceopt. we shall see. the most helpful things:
    1. soaking in braggs apple cider diluted with water (cool water) and salt (i have used pink himalayan salt. the less processed the salt, the better it is for you).
    2. shea butter. 100% pure shea butter. i put this on every single day. it's important to create a barrier between your skin and the world, especially when the skin has been so broken down, and for so long.
    3. australian scent products. they are a godsend. the balm of gilead is very soothing and hydrating. i either use the shea butter, or this balm AT ALL TIMES.
    4. manuka honey. if they don't sell it in a health food store, you can order from amazon. it has antiseptic and antibacterial and antifungal properties. it helps in healing. you can apply at night and cover area in gauze or cotton socks/gloves. very helpful.
    in general i try to stick with single ingredient items. that way if i have a reaction, i know exactly what i reacted to.
    5. reducing stress…much easier said than done. stress is very harmful to us and definitely plays a major role in my condition (which emerged after i adopted my son and life changed dramatically).
    good luck. this is hell. i am currently freaking out because i haven't worn real shoes in about 6 months (just flip flops) and winter is coming. i've got to get a pair of shoes on but the friction of them against my foot brings out the blisters….huge problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. regarding stress…a good first step is getting a good therapist. it truly helps to talk.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I have suffered with this agonizing skin disease for 20 years. The doctors are of no help.....I have seen them all. In fact, I diagnosed myself after researching the Internet and books. All they can give me is Clorbetesol....which doesn't work. My feet look like raw hamburger, they weep, bleed, peel and itch. When I can walk, It feels like I am walking on broken glass. I cannot wear shoes....only open sandals with the ever present socks. Most days are spent in my recliner. I recently got it on my hands....like I needed more agony after all these years. I have become a burden to my husband. Although he doesn't complain outwardly, I know he is getting weary of having to do most of the chores himself. He is 73 and has medical problems of his own. I am nearly in constant pain. I feel all is nearly lost....this is no way to live.

      Delete
  4. In my opinion this condition is candida infection of the lymphatic system. Takin Pau d'Arco will resolve it but not cure the candida infection. For the candida I recommend slowly ramping up to 50 mg/day of nascent iodine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed with this nearly four years ago. Started on one hand, spread to the other, so itchy and sore. I also have it on one foot, all over the sides and back and now it's spreading across my sole as well. The doctors are useless and have prescribed very strong steroid that I have every day. Last year I accidentally cured my hands in a very strange way! A friend who is a massage therapist came round and and gave me a free Manicure and hand treatment for my birthday. I was a bit hesitant but she talked me into it and it completely healed my hands! She exfoliated them then moisturised them, massaging insane amounts of stuff into them for 45 minutes. Then she wrapped me up in plastic bags and put heated mitts on my for half an hour. It felt so sweaty and gross. Then she took them off, it was completely miraculous. They looked so much better and continued to heal for the next 4 hours. It was happening so fast I could actually see my skin repairing. By the next day completely gone and it hasn't come back since! This may have been a fluke and I couldn't get it to work on my feet cos I can't get the heat to my ankles and the boots heat up on top. I've been massaging Shea butter (100% organic) in twice a day and massaging it in quite hard for about 15/20 minutes a go and it really has made a massive difference in .few days! Anyway wanted to share my story as it really is a truly unpleasant and painful experience not to mention it looks awful and is highly embarrassing. If this helps anyone at all I'll be happy! xx

    ReplyDelete